Advanced

Joe-X, ThePrepperBunkerOutdoors, Busse, Bladeforums

Posted by jasonstone20 
Joe-X, ThePrepperBunkerOutdoors, Busse, Bladeforums
December 22, 2023 12:00AM
Looks like we have some truth finding going on:

?si=0kU72XCZMYmvDwF8

[www.bladeforums.com]

Good work going on there, let me know what everyone thinks about this!
Re: Joe-X, ThePrepperBunkerOutdoors, Busse, Bladeforums
January 21, 2024 12:02PM
Regarding Joe X:

This particular video feels like something Spider Jerusalem might watch on TV while eating a monkey burger. Or that Rick and Morty might watch on interdimensional cable. I wish YT in general were more like this than it is.

I generally find destructive testing videos hard to watch, and I have not watched most of Joe X's videos. I am nevertheless glad that people do this kind of work and post their results.

The performance of any particular knife (the Busse Mettle Bustress or the Swamp Rat Dental Ruckus or whatever) in super-approximate testing of this kind is not all that interesting. The real value is in the general knife behavior patterns that are revealed:

- How do blades tend to fail?
- How do handles tend to fail?
- How do major design features affect failure modes?
- How do major materials differences affect failure modes?
- What sorts of work tend to lead to what sorts of failures?
- What are early signs of failure?
- What happens when early signs of failure are ignored and work continues?
- How effective are knives at cutting unusual materials and structures?
- How do the unusual materials and structures themselves tend to fail?

These things are worth knowing, but are not revealed quickly (if at all) in most people's fairly light knife use.

Regarding ThePreppersBunkerOutdoors:

The video from ThePreppersBunkerOutdoors is remarkably lucid.

I completely agree with ThePreppersBunkerOutdoors on the superiority of open web forums to ephemeral social media. This is part of my reason for continuing to post to the BT0.1M web forum and not to its other (IG, FB, etc.) manifestations, even though it often feels like there is noone here but crickets and tumbleweeds. Someone can read it all someday if they wish to, and they will not need to have an account with a creepy media company (or with anyone) to do it, and the Phorum software will not try to bury old material under new. Most of the high-quality knife-related information I have acquired from others came from T0.1M forum conversations that ended years before I ever read them. I am glad that they were there and that I could read them anonymously.

Regarding BF:

I disagree with ThePreppersBunkerOutdoors on the value of BF specifically.

I wrote a long page of coldly scathing text here, with references, but deleted it in favor of posting a couple of brief thoughts instead:

- It is more or less impossible for a forum to be better than its leadership and moderators. In the long term the culture and the tone of the forum will be a reflection of their values and priorities.

- Yes, there are some good people and information to be found nearly anywhere. But in some places it is generally possible to get to good information and hear from good people without first wading through a dumpster fire of one kind or another. BF is not one of those places.

- BT0.1M is worth my time. I have long since determined that BF is not.
January 25, 2024 11:19PM
alkali,
Well thank you for posting here. It seems most people have moved on to other things, I myself am continuing to learn the electric guitar since my hand healed. There just doesn't seem to be much of anything interesting to me in the knife world, all the people I respect and appreciate are not doing knife stuff anymore, mostly because the knife community is very toxic, and people want purchase validation and marketing information than actual information. Anyway, I am going to try and keep this forum up and alive, as well as the old forum up for archive sake as long as I can. If you want, I started groups on Instagram and Discord to keep in touch with forum members in a more accessible way vs using the forum, as it seems to have lost favor in most peoples eyes.
January 27, 2024 03:04AM

Jacob Peterson video Does Joe X show that cheap steels are better?
February 01, 2024 08:30PM
This was just posted:

His other content is unavailable now.
February 01, 2024 08:46PM
alkali:

This is why no one does this type of work anymore. You are killing sacred idols, people value fantasies they are sold, equipment over skills, marketing over scientific facts and proven theories. Lots of people tried before him, to show that there are no magical talismans that you can buy to make up for lack of skills, knowledge, experience, and wisdom. All these people are glorified MALL NINJAs. Just mall ninja's they are not serious people that life in reality, they are cultists that protect their religion, no matter how many times you show them that their high carbide, thick grinds, overpriced, crappy QC knife is really just a fancy gas station knife. I am an Orthodox Jew, just so you understand that I am not completely anti-religious, but Spirituality should be the goal, not some religious cult that is defended to the death, and would murder other people for not believing like them.
February 04, 2024 11:59AM
There is an interesting letter from Busse to Joe X here:
[www.youtube.com]
February 04, 2024 01:25PM
jasonstone20
It seems most people have moved on to other things
There just doesn't seem to be much of anything interesting to me in the knife world, all the people I respect and appreciate are not doing knife stuff anymore

Understood.

I cook a lot. Over the last couple of years, and particularly the last few months, I have been working on figuring out

- what knife designs work well for the sort of kitchen cutting I do
- why they work

and I have accumulated some notes on a few knives.

What BT0.1M seems to need at the moment is people doing knife work and writing about it and posting what they have written. So I may make some of my stuff presentable and post it here in the near future if anyone is interested.

jasonstone20
the knife community is very toxic, and people want purchase validation and marketing information than actual information.

Agreed.

jasonstone20
Anyway, I am going to try and keep this forum up and alive, as well as the old forum up for archive sake as long as I can.

Please do. If either cost or maintenance effort becomes an issue, send me a PM. I might be able to assist.
February 04, 2024 02:33PM
Yeah, I saw the letter video from Busse. Then there was a video by Jacob Peterson that Busse might have filed a lawsuit against Joe-X.

Thank you for your participating on the forum. There are also chats set up on Discord, Instagram, and Facebook, if you haven't joined those already, but they don't have a lot of activity either. Most of us have moved on to other things, or lost interest once Cliff was no longer with us, or both. I will try and keep this forum and the archive of the old forum up as long as I can. We have a year left come May or July, and the expense isn't horrible, but I am disabled and not working so I don't have money to put into the site, especially if it isn't being used.
February 05, 2024 02:44AM
jasonstone20
Yeah, I saw the letter video from Busse. Then there was a video by Jacob Peterson that Busse might have filed a lawsuit against Joe-X

Joe X has stated that this is not the case:

Joe X
NO KNIFE COMPANY SUED ME!!!!!

Source: [www.youtube.com]
February 05, 2024 05:48PM
alkali,
Huh, wonder where that nugget of information came from then? Bladeforums?
February 06, 2024 01:10AM
An update has been posted.

Summary: local trouble.

February 07, 2024 12:52PM
alkali,
i find this whole thing weird. If a guy wants to break his own knives and film it, then let him. I don't think anyone really expects hardened steel to deal with that abuse.
March 26, 2024 06:56AM
Joe X is back!
April 01, 2024 05:42PM
alkali,
Yeah, I saw that. I am really liking the Jacob B. Peterson YouTube channel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login