Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Benchmade meatcrafter

Posted by cKc (Kyley Harris) 
Benchmade meatcrafter
September 14, 2021 08:16AM

Really liking the look. And design of this knife.
Re: Benchmade meatcrafter
September 15, 2021 11:00PM
I agree that this looks quite good.

I've heard that a lot of deer hunters these days use Victorinox Fibrox boning knives to break down deer. This Benchmade seems to have a similar blade shape and comes with a sheath and a lanyard hole. I don't have any experience with CPM-154. Benchmade says this is sharpened to 28 degrees inclusive and has some sort of highly polished edge.
September 16, 2021 05:55AM
All in all with 14dps i think that is a very nice starting point for a general purpose knife.

i see they also do some high end meatcrafters in different handles and steels

I really like the look of this knife. so tempted to buy one even though i dont have a lot of use for it.

its basically an inbetween knife of my victorinox boning knife and my swibo breaking knife
September 16, 2021 11:13PM
cKc (Kyley Harris)
I really like the look of this knife. so tempted to buy one even though i dont have a lot of use for it.

its basically an inbetween knife of my victorinox boning knife and my swibo breaking knife

Ha...I was just about to ask what the difference in intended use, for you, would be between the Meatcrafter and the Swibo straight-spined butcher pattern mentioned here.

That T0.1M post, by the way, has had me thinking seriously about boning/butcher patterns as general outdoor and utility knives ever since.

---

I also find the Meatcrafter pleasing:

- It is good to see a Benchmade fixed blade that is designed for deep cutting.

- I like the sharpening notch and the amount of metal below it.

- I like that there is a hard sheath which relies on primary retention, with no secondary retention to complicate use.

- I like that they provided holes in the sheath edges but didn't bother with mounting hardware. This makes for a tidy package if the knife is not going to be worn (both of my kindling choppers live in bare plastic sheaths, one Kydex and one injection-molded, and this has worked out well for me). And if I were to wear the Meatcrafter, I would end up doing something weird to mount the sheath to a leg pocket anyway, so a factory belt loop would probably be wasted on me.
September 19, 2021 07:28AM
alkali
- I like that they provided holes in the sheath edges but didn't bother with mounting hardware. This makes for a tidy package if the knife is not going to be worn (both of my kindling choppers live in bare plastic sheaths, one Kydex and one injection-molded, and this has worked out well for me). And if I were to wear the Meatcrafter, I would end up doing something weird to mount the sheath to a leg pocket anyway, so a factory belt loop would probably be wasted on me.

...that said, I am casually curious what Benchmade's reasons, internally, were for not including mounting hardware / a belt loop.
September 19, 2021 11:49AM
from the website
This knife makes just as much sense in the back of your truck as it does in the kitchen drawer

from their own marketing, its clear they dont see this knife as a belt knife. they see its use more in the way i tend to see knives as a pack knife, car knife, or basically a kitchen knife, but with the design and length not what they consider a utility belt knife. so no point having a belt attachment.

however its nice they designed it to support and accept it for those that would like to use it as a belt knife
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login