Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Going full circle

Posted by mawecowa 
Going full circle
January 05, 2023 10:52PM
Before I got into the whole EDC knife hobby and such, I used to carry a Victorinox SAK with me.

Then came locking folding knives (wow), different locks, different steels and handle materials as part of the journey. Nowadays I'm regularly back to just take my SAK with me.

On another note, I also used to work with my folders instead of box cutter knives for work around the house. Nowadays, most of the time, I'm also back to those (especially happy with Tajima/Olfa blades)

The main reason for going full circle is that often the (dare I say) mainstream tools are more convenient to me.

Anyone else having a similar experience with what they use?
Re: Going full circle
January 10, 2023 05:25PM
I can see it happening, but I'm still at the stage where I'm messing around with a lot of different locking knives. For example, this past year is the first time I've owned a flipper or an axis-style lock or a button-lock knife.

I started with a multi-blade folding knife I carried as a kid, but somehow I was able to cut myself with it when carving. I moved on to Benchmade and Spyderco, carrying a Delica almost daily for over a decade. Still love that knife. The opening hole and solid lock make it a safe and effective tool. Recently, I've been buying inexpensive knives with different locking mechanisms, like the button-lock. I find that I'm not really a fan of liner locks.

I still like having the ability to open and close a knife with one hand say when opening a food package.
January 10, 2023 10:08PM
Cal_Bowie
I can see it happening, but I'm still at the stage where I'm messing around with a lot of different locking knives. For example, this past year is the first time I've owned a flipper or an axis-style lock or a button-lock knife.

Been there, in my opinion, the axis lock is one of the most convenient locks. I never required the thumb studs to get it to deploy, simply pulling back the axis lock thumbs to open and close. Never had a button lock, but I can see why it would perform practically.

Cal_Bowie
I started with a multi-blade folding knife I carried as a kid, but somehow I was able to cut myself with it when carving. I moved on to Benchmade and Spyderco, carrying a Delica almost daily for over a decade. Still love that knife. The opening hole and solid lock make it a safe and effective tool. Recently, I've been buying inexpensive knives with different locking mechanisms, like the button-lock. I find that I'm not really a fan of liner locks.

I still like having the ability to open and close a knife with one hand say when opening a food package.

Oh, I did as well as a kid. Didn't stop me from playing with knives though at that time grinning smiley

Cal_Bowie
I moved on to Benchmade and Spyderco, carrying a Delica almost daily for over a decade. Still love that knife. The opening hole and solid lock make it a safe and effective tool. Recently, I've been buying inexpensive knives with different locking mechanisms, like the button-lock. I find that I'm not really a fan of liner locks.

I can see why, its got a convenient opening mechanism and its lightweight, still kicking myself for selling the pacific salt.
January 11, 2023 04:44PM
mawecowa
Been there, in my opinion, the axis lock is one of the most convenient locks. I never required the thumb studs to get it to deploy, simply pulling back the axis lock thumbs to open and close. Never had a button lock, but I can see why it would perform practically.

Yeah, I really like the axis lock though I normally open my knife with the thumb studs. The button lock knife I have, a Sencut, allows you to do the same swing open move like an Axis lock when you depress the button. Both those locks are extremely easy to use with one hand when you just want to cut open a package or letter and then put the knife away.

I open and close a Delica with one hand, using an index finger in the opening hole to control the blade as I depressed the back lock, but it is a more difficult move than just pulling a lock and having the blade fall closed. I don't like the way a liner lock puts your thumb in the way of a falling blade.

I have to get my old Delica back in pocket. I almost lost it when I found it resting in my pocket one day without the clip. I have a replacement clip, but I still need to source some replacement screws and make sure to locktite them in. It is an older model with a saber grind, but I've done a rough convex on the primary bevel. It has a lot of sentimental value as I carried it so long and used it for things like field dressing deer and cutting line tangled in an outboard motor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login