Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kershaw Emerson CQC-7K 6034T

Posted by jasonstone20 
Kershaw Emerson CQC-7K 6034T
August 08, 2021 10:23PM
Just got this knife, I have been wanting one for a long time:
[www.bladehq.com]

I used the Zhuk knife sharpener and the Venev OCB stones to put a mirror edge on the blade.
Re: Kershaw Emerson CQC-7K 6034T
August 08, 2021 11:51PM
How're you liking the wave? Think Kershaw made a good decision with going for a frame-lock with this instead of Emerson's preferred liner locks?
August 09, 2021 02:01AM
Luis,
I wish they would have gone with the liner lock, I like liner locks better. The CQC-5K has a liner lock, and I almost got that knife instead, but it is a little smaller and has a black blade, which I am trying to avoid. The Wave is fine, you have to deliberately employ it, unlike a zip-tie Wave which always deploys.
August 09, 2021 12:21PM
That's nice to know, one of my concerns with it was that I'd have to fuss everytime I pulled the blade out of the pocket and didn't want the wave action. I hear you on black blades though, good way to get people to freak out, I've been EDCing a Civivi Ortis the past couple months with a blackwash blade and that gets the sideye when people notice.
August 13, 2021 05:02PM
One thing about this knife that reminds me of knives from 20 years ago, is that it has Teflon washers, so no drop free or Spydie-flick possible with this knife, it is meant to open with the Wave-feature or a controlled opening with the thumb-disc.
August 17, 2021 10:39PM
I decided to go full Mike Swaim and sharpen this knife with a double cut bastard file, giving it an Ultra-Coarse edge. I will see how long this lasts for me with my cutting style.
August 18, 2021 08:21PM
I didn't have good luck with the filed edge, after a little use, the edge stopped shaving in spots and wasn't cutting well. Back to medium to fine edges for me.
August 19, 2021 08:36PM
So I put a mirror edge on the knife with a KME and Venev OCB stones. The knife was very sharp, but cut like garbage. The knife is a thick sabre hollow grind, so I decided to regrind it a little to make it cut better:
Here it is compared to my pocket pry bar:

First regrind:

Second regrind:

Regrind results (WARNING: I cut my finger by barely brushing against the blade, and there is a little blood in the picture):
The knife cuts way better now, even though it doesn't look great.

*Edit: Edge angle is 10° per side, 20° inclusive, per the physical goniometer/protractor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2021 09:54PM by jasonstone20.
August 19, 2021 09:30PM
One negative thing that did happen was the thumb disc screw hole stripped. I had to remove it several times for sharpening and regrinding, so I just used some CA glue (SuperGlue) to hold the screw in place.
August 22, 2021 11:06AM
Yeah I wanted to try one of the Kershaw Emerson's for a while but I never pulled the trigger on it because I would always send them out for a regrind first, before anything else. Same for the Real Steel Mini Metamorph.
August 22, 2021 03:42PM
I am still learning how to do regrinds, so be knives don't always look the best after I have reground them.
August 23, 2021 09:48AM
I find that knife blades only tend to look pretty for any long amount of time if you're not using them much, or just in very selective/restricted ways (for example, a stainless kitchen knife won't show too much wear), in a world where I can only have one or the other I'm more impressed when a knife can cut well than when it has an even satin grind.
August 23, 2021 01:36PM
Luis,
Yeah, I much rather have a knife that cuts well than looks good.
August 23, 2021 04:26PM
Any feedback on the hardness of the blade? I sharpened one of the Hinderer design Kershaws for my buddy a few weeks back and I was shocked how thick it was behind the edge. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 0.035-0.040"+ range. I tried to match the factory edge angle, since I was short on time, and it felt really wrong to have the blade what felt like nearly perpendicular to the stone.
August 23, 2021 04:31PM
Also how do you like the Venev stones? I picked up a couple several months ago and I've been pleasantly surprised, though my experience with stones is mainly with diamond/cbn plated stones.
August 24, 2021 02:09AM
Valorum,
I think the blade is hardened to the typical Kershaw standard, which is pretty good, as it sharpens up nicely, with a crisp edge. I like the Venev stones, although they do glaze quickly
August 25, 2021 04:44AM
I found that to be the case with the stones as well, with the finer grits seeming to load more quickly. I forgot I designed a 3d printed Venev stone holder/adapter to work with my wicked edge, but I haven't used it yet. I was really surprised by the level of polish they produce, and how quickly. I was not one for mirrored edges prior to these stones just due to the time involved, but now most of my knives have one.
August 25, 2021 06:18AM
valurom,
Yeah, mirror edges are nice, I like them.
August 28, 2021 01:38AM
I am getting rust on the knife blade, around the pivot and up near the flats. This is most likely due to the two contrasting finishes used, one bead blasted and the other a streaked satin.
August 29, 2021 08:13PM
I really like this steel and the HT on it. It is super easy to get arm hair tree topping sharp. I need to get the tree topping and some hair whittling on video, I need to wait for my arm hair to grow back.
August 31, 2021 10:14AM
Ah the good ol' knife aficionado's bald arm. I've had similar experiences with Kershaw's 8cr13MoV, it sharpens very easily but man is it prone to rusting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login