Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smith's dual grit oilstone review

Posted by jj_sharp 
Smith's dual grit oilstone review
August 27, 2021 08:07PM
Smith's Synthetic Oilstone, Dual Grit 8 inch, review of the medium side.
I wrote this a while back said in the interest of not having to spend a lot of money for a decent stone.

Description: $8.46 plus sales tax, from Walmart in Florida. Course (100 grit) and Medium (240 grit), Aluminum Oxide.

Preparation: Place stone medium side up, under a desk lamp to warm the stone. Smear petroleum jelly on surface until the stone will not absorb anymore. This will keep your sharpening oil on the surface of the stone, instead of the sharpening oil running through the stone.

Usage: Put laxative mineral oil from the drug department on the medium side of the stone. Sharpen your knife or tool. When finished, add oil and work it with your fingers. The goal is to lift metal laden oil from the stone. Paper towel the stone dry.

Results and so on: The medium side seemed finer than a Norton fine India stone that I have. Norton India is also aluminum oxide. The internet says aluminum oxide stones will smooth up with use. I like 8 inch stones more than smaller stones. The stone is recommended for course work.

New sharpers should consider that a course stone makes a great first stone. For knives, I follow this stone with something finer, but that is not necessary.

Jody.
Re: Smith's dual grit oilstone review
August 28, 2021 12:32AM
Jody,
Nice write up. I saw these stones when I was at Walmart last, but I didn't pick one up because I have a bunch of Norton/Pike India stones, as well as a bunch of cheap hardware stones. Where did you get the info for putting the petroleum jelly on the stone? I found that procedure very interesting. What finer stone are you going to after the Al2O3 stone? I usually like a Soft Arkansas or Spyderco Ceramic stone.
August 28, 2021 03:29PM
I had read on the internet about stuffing petroleum jelly in stones, but the procedures described involved ovens and soaking, if I recall correctly. I thought about it, and I knew old school light bulbs get hot, so I tried it. Smearing the stone with vasoline is repeated every now and then until it will not take any more.

I had to do this procedure to a Norton as well. The Norton was supposed to be filled at the factory. I tried kerosene on the Norton, and it went through the stone. The kerosene may have dissolved oit the grease, or else there was none to start with. I switched to a thicker oil for these permeable stones.

I originally posted this to reddit, but I am currently trying to close that account. Mr. Jason gave me the link to this forum
August 28, 2021 03:43PM
Perhaps I should have used the reply button. I have to figure out how to use the forum software.
August 28, 2021 05:36PM
For table knives, I use the fine Norton india, or the similar Smith's.

For kitchen knives, I continue with either a soft Arkansas, or the Sharpmaker to finish. Last time, I used a Norton waterstone, 4k/8k. My wife liked it, she seemed to notice the difference.
August 29, 2021 08:00PM
I really like the Soft Arks and Spyderco Ceramics for finishing, they are great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login