Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I Found My EDC Edge Finally, The Wayne Goddard Edge And His Norton Stone

Posted by jasonstone20 
I Found My EDC Edge Finally, The Wayne Goddard Edge And His Norton Stone
February 21, 2022 12:09AM
So for the last few years, I have been looking for an EDC edge for my knives. Normally, I would take the edge up to a Spyderco UF or Dan's Surgical Black Arkansas stone, as I mostly push cut, or so I thought. Kyley Harris (cKc) examined my cutting technique and told me that I am actually zipper cutting. That means that I would benefit from a more coarse edge. On a side note, I have been either regrinding my knives or thinning them out by putting a relief grind on the blade, so the actual effect of the edge grit is more like fine-tuning since the cutting ability has been increased. The coarse edge I was always fond of was Wayne Goddard's Norton (M) Crystolon/Norton (F) India stone and edge. I found that this edge works best for me if I strop a little after the stone using Green Buffing Compound (Woodstock Extra-Fine). I put this edge on my EDC knife (Victorinox Sentinal), and I haven't had to resharpen the edge for weeks. The knife is still shaving sharp in both directions. Using this edge saves a lot of time because I only use one combination stone (Norton IC6), and a grit progression of only two grits. This defiantly is more efficient for my use.

I found this on the web: Crystolon India = Wanye Goddard

There is also an excerpt from one of his books that were published in a 2001 Blade Magazine article that talks about knife sharpening. I couldn't find it online. however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2022 12:14AM by jasonstone20.
sal
Re: I Found My EDC Edge Finally, The Wayne Goddard Edge And His Norton Stone
February 22, 2022 04:53AM
Hi Jason,

Wayne Goddard, smart man. One of my mentors. Steven Dick also swore by the same stone. There's a guy on our forum, Vivi, A walking testing lab. He's been sharing his success with coarse stones.

"Back in the day", when Gail and I were studying edges, we learned that a coarse edge cut better but a polished edge stayed sharper longer. That's how we got into serrated edges. They cut like a coarse stone edge and stay sharper longer. I still use a coarse edge on H1 plain edges. and a fine on the teeth.

I'd like to see any actual testing that has been done with a focus on coarse edges.

sal
February 22, 2022 10:40PM
sal,
Yeah, I loved Steven Dick also. He is in my neck of the woods in the Pacific Northwest. I used to read his articles religiously. Wish I could find his newer stuff.

What made a huge difference in the edge lasting longer was the stropping with the green compound. That allows the F India edge to be more of a Medium finish, and push cut with no issue. Also, thinning out the edge along with using a super low angle really helped also. The edge will tree-top arm hair, ie shave above the skin. My type of edge. Before, I would just use the edge right off the F India and use a micro bevel to refine the edge to get it to push cut better. For some reason, I have an attachment to this sharpening progression, as it was the first article that actually taught you how to sharpen. I could get maintain a working edge using the technique, but couldn't shave with the edge because I didn't understand how to properly remove the burr at the time (about 20 years ago). I learned how to remove the burr from John Juranitch's book, "The Razor's Edge". From there, using Murray Carter and Cliff Stamps' sharpening techniques respectively, I was able to get a 'scary sharp' or high sharpness edge.
sal
February 28, 2022 07:49AM
Hey Jason,

We stand on the shoulders of others so we can see father. People like Goddard, Cliff, Juranich and Carter that focused on "the cut", are always an asset to the Knowledge bank". And there are many more in that group.

sal
me2
March 03, 2022 04:19PM
I tried something similar for a while but was seduced by water stones and sold my coarse/fine combo stone. I really need to get another or maybe an actual Crystalon and a separate Fine India. I didn’t strop but got an arm shaving edge. It’s a less fussy process with just a combo oil stone.
March 05, 2022 12:44AM
me2,
I got into waterstones also, but I also really haven't ever met a sharpening stone that I didn't like, LOL!
March 05, 2022 04:24AM
me2,
I got into waterstones also, but I also really haven't ever met a sharpening stone that I didn't like, LOL!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login