Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally Got My Cold Steel #35LTC Kukri Shaving Sharp

Posted by jasonstone20 
Finally Got My Cold Steel #35LTC Kukri Shaving Sharp
May 06, 2024 06:31AM
Wow, it took me years, but I finally got my Cold Steel #35LTC Kukri sharp. This is one of my favorite knives, I bought it probably 20+ years ago when they were still sold, as the knife was discontinued in 2003. You can get a thinner, machete version for a tenth of the price that this cost, in the same basic shape, a WWI/M43 Kukri shape, which I like better than the WWII Kukri's, which have the straight spine section. Either one will do the job, these things are vicious cutters, and are basically a short sword. I put it on my LC2 pistol belt as well as my Ontario 18" D-Guard GI Machete. Anyway, I was able to get it sharp using the new Spyderco 308CBN Webfoot sharpener, which did the heavy lifting, with it's rounded, radiused edges, which is perfect for the matching the complex angles of the S-shaped re-curve of the blade. The Webfoot, because of the gap in the sharpener, gives you a third rounded radiused sharpening surface, if you stick the blade through the gap of the sharpener. It should fit most blades, as it fit the LTC, and it is a very wide blade at 2 3/4" at the widest point, and it fit in the gap, which made sharpening a little quicker. After the 308CBN Webfoot, I used the Spyderco 308F Golden Stone for grit refinement, a bridging grit as you will, and then a Spyderco 204UF Ultra-Fine Tri-Angle rod to finish the sharpening. Now, along with the superb Spyderco sharpening systems I used, what also helped was the sharpening guide from the Kukri House. I basically copied the field sharpening technique with the one of the two companion knives, the one meant to be used as a sharpening steel:

and with a file:

Using that method, but with the Spyderco sharpeners, I was able to get the blade shaving sharp, FINALLY!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login