Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Regrinding Full Flat Blades

Posted by me2 
me2
Regrinding Full Flat Blades
April 12, 2022 03:18PM
I need to regrind my Tern knife from Byrd. It’s a slip-it design that really needs a thinner bevel. Saber grinds seem easier than FFG blades unless I want a compound bevel halfway up the blade. Anyone have any tips on how to do this and not make the blade look like my eyes were closed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2022 03:19PM by me2.
Re: Regrinding Full Flat Blades
April 13, 2022 01:39AM
Chris,
I do what Cliff and Kyley taught me. Make a relief grind, then blend it with a felt-backed platen.

PS: edit: I mark the existing bevel with a marker or dye, then grind the relief grind until the bevel in like a micro-bevel, then I blend it in with a 3M Trizact A 30 belt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2022 01:42AM by jasonstone20.
April 13, 2022 11:13AM
Recently reground a Spyderco Chaparral XHP using an hard, coarsely conditioned (loose 24 grit carbide) 120grit Sic stone (i guess Norton Coarse India would also work ok), entire primary grind flat on the stone, oil and very high pressure to fracture the binder, going from 0.21 to 0.07 bte took about 20 minutes, but the steel was pretty hard to grind.
Then, sandpaper on firm leather (40 to 400 grit) to remove most of the scratches and refinish the blade.
Just be careful not going to the edge while grinding
April 13, 2022 05:51PM
I bet that knife cuts very well now. My Chapparal is one of the best cutters I’ve had because of the 2mm stock and FFG.
April 13, 2022 07:05PM
Better than any factory knife I have ever owned, except for Opinels (about the same geometry)
I also reprofiled to less than 10dps at the end of the same session, that also helped a lot, if not more
The very tip is still a little bit thicker than the rest of the edge, but I didn't bother
Attachments:
open | download - chaparral closeup.jpg (3.62 MB)
me2
April 14, 2022 02:59AM
I was sort of hoping it would be less work but I guess not. I feel I have a full afternoon to regrind my Tern.
April 14, 2022 04:31PM
If you have access to power equipment I imagine you can get the results you want pretty fast, how thick is the edge of your knife?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login