Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SpyderCo Siren

Posted by cKc (Kyley Harris) 
SpyderCo Siren
February 14, 2022 07:46AM
There is nothing better than when the person who comes up with a design or is part of the process actually sits and explains the rationale behind the knife, but then also does a bit of a demonstration of its values in real terms.

I've never seen this model before. but as a fisherman, this really does appeal to me a lot. the guard and all those other features, even the blade shape are all excellent for the purposes outlined. I've used framelocks etc fishing and they get dangerous and slippery..

my reground salt is an excellent fishing knife, but i think this siren looks more the part. it is already a flat grind and so would only need minor thinning on the edge. from a filletings perspective, that edge bevel is an advantage over a thinner grind so you dont go through the skin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 07:48AM by cKc (Kyley Harris).
Attachments:
open | download - spydercosalt.png (244 KB)
Re: SpyderCo Siren
October 17, 2022 10:14PM
That does seem like a really good knife for fisherman to keep on them. His commonsense rationale behind the features is good as well.
October 18, 2022 03:42PM
Wolfgang,
it always surprises me that more knives, especially daily driver/EDC knives are not designed with practical, thought-out features. Instead, we get high-carbide, larger than 20* edge angles, and thick behind-the-edge (ie more than 20 thou) pocket jewelry. It would really be nice if the EDC knife market was more like kitchen knives, designed to be used and sharpened. If more people used their knives for cutting, and sharpened them also, we would get better knives hopefully.
October 20, 2022 05:53AM
Jason,

Yep. I’ve actually thought about buying a small high quality kitchen knife and converting it into a regular outdoor knife for the bush. Some kitchen knives I see look almost identical to old French trade knives the Mountain Men used. It would be interesting to see how well they outperform the common 40-50° sharpened crowbar called “outdoor knives”.

If you look at old knives from throughout history many were quite thin.

I hate having to reprofile every single knife I happen to like because a 30°+ v grind is unacceptable to me.

I plan to eventually make myself some knives (maybe half a dozen) probably in 52100 that actually have useful geometry designed into them, The stock would be 2mm for most, 3mm for one or two, full flat ground to very near zero with some shallow convexing towards the micro bevel. I’d likely get them professionally heat treated as I’ve never done it nor am I set up to do it. It’s all about having the finances to do it, as always.

Modifications and self made seems the only choice for me as we are seeing 1/4” thick folders taken seriously these days.
October 20, 2022 03:28PM
Wolfgang,
Yeah, that is true. There are some makers here in the USA that make outdoor knives with great geometry and high-performance steels like 52100 and AEB-L. Jeremy McCullen and Joe Calton are the two that come immediately to mind. Kyle Bettleyton also. They are all members of the forum and can be found on social media or on their websites (I know Joe has a website). Speaking of the forum and social media, have you signed up for the new message boards/groups I set up on Discord, Instagram, and Facebook?
December 04, 2022 10:24PM
jasonstone20
Wolfgang,
Yeah, that is true. There are some makers here in the USA that make outdoor knives with great geometry and high-performance steels like 52100 and AEB-L. Jeremy McCullen and Joe Calton are the two that come immediately to mind. Kyle Bettleyton also. They are all members of the forum and can be found on social media or on their websites (I know Joe has a website). Speaking of the forum and social media, have you signed up for the new message boards/groups I set up on Discord, Instagram, and Facebook?

I haven’t signed up to any groups, no.

I have seriously considered both Jeremy and Joe but I’m in Australia and so I just want to avoid any potential headaches that customs might like to throw at me on the day of delivery should a “customs official” be having a bad day. It happens occasionally that a perfectly legal import is stopped and then the process must start to get it released.

I generally only import knives that are a Spyderco sprint run or exclusive that I want. And then I’m nervous until I get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2022 10:25PM by Wolfgang.
December 05, 2022 02:49AM
Wolfgang,
Try the Victorinox or Victory Knives paring knives and rabbit knives. They are inexpensive and have customer knife maker like geometries. If you need a sheath for either one, you can get one made locally and I also make sheaths.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login