Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Improved Milwaukee Fasttback Utility Knife

Posted by jasonstone20 
Improved Milwaukee Fasttback Utility Knife
January 05, 2022 03:27AM
Some changes done to the already great Milwaukee Fastback Utility Knife(I have the original, and I would agree it is one of the best utility knives, I prefer either a Gerber EAB or the scalpel bladed Havalon knives):
  • Smoother action
  • Replaces the extra blade storage with hex driver/screwdriver
  • changes blade release/blade change location
  • changes place of wire stripper to on the blade holder vs handle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2022 01:51AM by jasonstone20.
Re: Improved Milwaukee Fasttback Utility Knife
January 05, 2022 05:22AM
Jason,

I think we should adhere to Cliff’s ideas about not posting links to videos, magazine articles, etc. without any commentary or analysis about them. It just clutters the site and makes it difficult to find more substantive threads.

If there’s at least some kind of analysis, something like a mention of a point made or an idea forwarded in the video and some kind of analysis or question or discussion of that, that’s one thing. That’s perfectly fine.

But to just post links to things without anything else in attendance to that, well, it just clutters the site, makes it more difficult to find the substantive stuff, and it’s not particularly interesting. I think Cliff was 100% correct about that and I think we should keep that in practice here, also.
January 06, 2022 05:23PM
Ryan,
This is a spot were Cliff and I disagreed about. Not because he wasn't right and it isn't better to post a summary, it obviously is. I just am not good at doing summaries and don't always have the mental energy and focus, but also sometimes, like in this case, I felt the video spoke for itself. I am working on trying not to just post videos without summaries, but I do forget sometimes. Another thing was that I also started this bad habit when I was just trying to get content on the forum, any content, as fast and as effortlessly as possible, and I still have that habit. Thank you for pointing this out and I will not post videos anymore without summaries. If I do, just remind me.
January 06, 2022 07:54PM
jasonstone20
…!just trying to get content on the forum, any content, as fast and as effortlessly as possible...

Why?
January 06, 2022 09:33PM
Ryan,
It was something I was doing when Cliff took his initial hiatus from the original forum, no one asked me to do it and I don't know if it was needed. I was just trying to keep the original forum going like it was when Cliff was participating regularly, but I definitely couldn't fill his shoes, the guy was a dynamo when it came to work.
January 06, 2022 09:35PM
Ryan,
Another thing I just remembered was that I wanted this section of the forum to be just were someone could through up a video of a review, but I don't know if that was a good idea, for the reasons previously mentioned.
January 07, 2022 03:47AM
I guess my argument would be that doing that creates a thread with nothing to actually interact with or talk about, there’s no clear starting point for a discussion.

I mean what is someone who clicks on the thread supposed to think, what are they supposed to do? They have no context to the video, no idea what the original poster’s intent was, no idea of what’s in question or what’s actually being offered to talk about. So they don’t really say anything about it.

Look at how often a discussion actually gets started by doing this as evidence of my argument, it’s not very often. People just don’t even know what to say.

But if the original poster gives the conversation a clear place to start by actually having something to say themselves, then it’s clear to everyone what’s going on and if they have something to say about it then they can do so.
January 08, 2022 03:21AM
Ryan,
You are exactly right.
January 08, 2022 05:38PM
Well it’s just the argument that’s in contention, not me personally. The ideas, not the person articulating them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 06:52PM by Ryan Nafe.
January 09, 2022 12:47AM
Ryan,
Exactly. I got in the habit of just posting the video link a few years ago, and when I am tired or unfocused I forget to add things that will start, contribute or just add something to start a conversation. I am planning on going back and editing the post so it will be more conversation provoking, like I should have done the first time. Thank you again for the reminder.
January 09, 2022 01:11AM
I don’t think it’s necessary to do that. Just for the record.
January 09, 2022 01:45AM
Ryan,
Right on. I am mostly doing it for me so I get in the habit of doing it.
January 09, 2022 01:51AM
Some changes done to the already great Milwaukee Fastback Utility Knife(I have the original, and I would agree it is one of the best utility knives, I prefer either a Gerber EAB or the scalpel bladed Havalon knives):
  • Smoother action
  • Replaces the extra blade storage with hex driver/screwdriver
  • changes blade release/blade change location
  • changes place of wire stripper to on the blade holder vs handle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login