Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windmühlenmesser - grinding technique

Posted by mawecowa 
Windmühlenmesser - grinding technique
November 25, 2021 01:02AM

Thought I'd share this. Video is unfortunately not with English subs. Around min~3 you'll see the knifemaker produce a convex grind by fixing the blade into an apparatus that rocks vertically against the grinding wheel and putting pressure on it(all water cooled). The grinding machine is around 100 years old according to the narrator.

He also wears a metal ring to check the thickness of the grind by pressing the apex against it. You'll see the secondary bevel flex as he pushes the blade against the ring. Not sure if this is a thing in modern knifemaking anymore.
Re: Windmühlenmesser - grinding technique
November 25, 2021 07:08AM
Yes, that is an awesome video of the old Herder factory. Roman Landes shared this with Cliff, and Cliff shared it with us. I haven't been able to find it however, thank you!
Re: Windmühlenmesser - grinding technique
November 25, 2021 10:14AM
jasonstone20
Yes, that is an awesome video of the old Herder factory. Roman Landes shared this with Cliff, and Cliff shared it with us. I haven't been able to find it however, thank you!

There is a huge wealth of info on Cliff's forum. I discovered it just a few years ago but missed the video. Once in a while YouTube recommendations are spot on grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login