Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Victorinox Folding Paring knife

Posted by cKc (Kyley Harris) 
Victorinox Folding Paring knife
August 18, 2021 03:22PM
I bought one a few weeks ago to see how it is. i wanted the folder because my knives never seem to get back in the knife block and often get dull in a sink.

just someone elses commentary and a video to show the knife

i bought the straight blade. id rather sharpen coarse than use serrations most of the time.

when i opened it, it felt dull and didn't cut paper that well, however this appears to be a rough burr left on the edge unusual for victorinox. but it took only a tiny effort to clean the edge, and then it was cutting very well.

I will get the blade thickness and edge thickness in the next post.

For the money, so far it has met my expectations well. it cuts very nicely with low resistance. it is the size of the tomato steak knife, not the paring knife, so that little bit of length is nice for bread rolls etc.
Re: Victorinox Folding Paring knife
August 18, 2021 03:23PM
cKc,
Nice! I keep on meaning to pick a couple of these up. My parents would love them also.
September 08, 2021 07:04PM
if the geometry is good it would make a great picnic knife as its lightweight as well.

"i wanted the folder because my knives never seem to get back in the knife block and often get dull in a sink."

most people around me do this. I'd argue if someone can't be bothered to take it out of the sink the person most likely won't use the folding function in kitchen use either.

its a long process to convince people to change their old habits. my only knives that don't eventually end up there are my folders since my wife knows how much they cost.

that's why I enjoy the Herder pairing knife so much in my kitchen. cheap and can get it sharp enough in a minute.
September 08, 2021 11:03PM
At Kyley’s suggestion, I picked one of these up. Added to my lunch box- which already had a stainless Opinel, small cutting board, Ti spork and chopsticks.
This folding paring knife is a winner. Sharpened up easily, as you’d expect from the soft steel. Excellent apple slicer. For a non-tactical folder, the lining lock seems plenty stable. Secure in folded position as well. The blunt, wide tip makes it both a good peanut butter spreader and non- threatening in appearance. Handle provides decent security with wet hands, about the same as standard Victorinox paring knives.
September 09, 2021 02:38AM
I have found it performing very nicely to slice open my hamburger buns on Hamburger night too grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login