Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco knives on my watchlist

Posted by cKc (Kyley Harris) 
Spyderco knives on my watchlist
February 19, 2022 07:56AM
i have no need of one now, but as soon as i get back to a location where i can actively fish, im definately thinking of upgrading my H1 salt to the lc200n models.

This video is linked for the view of the knife, more than the commentary. While i appreciate all the youtubers that allow us to "see" all these knives, i question if most of them actually use any knife for any period of time for their opinion to be of high value to me personally. as much as i hate to say it, nutnfancy was one of the few that actually used and described knives from a useage perspective at least.

at $135 on amazon, this seems like a great knife. and the color is very nice.

The siren can be had for just under $200. main difference to explain away the cost difference that i can see is made in USA, and G10. G10 isn't a real huge cost factor.. so it must be the higher overall in country cost

i feel like Spyderco hit a home run with the knives from Lance. he has a lot of skill in his area, he has well thought out the needs of the knife in the domain, and he also has done an excellent job with the videos explaining the design, and rationale behind each small facet of the knife.
i feel i'd enjoy either of his designs very much from his explanations, and demonstrations. This should be the benchmark for every knife on the market IMO in terms of marketing.

i wont need one for a while. so i can decide which i want later. the cost isn't really a factor for me over getting the right knife.

it will be interesting to see if MagnaCut supplants LC200n in the salts over that time frame. i suspect this is not something Sal or anyone would want to publically comment on. as fantastic as Magnacut appears for most people, i think personally the lc200n is more in my alley, as it is closer to an AEBL grade steel. i prefer ease of grinding over a small increase in edge longevity.
Re: Spyderco knives on my watchlist
February 19, 2022 07:07PM
For me, I’m keeping an eye out for any other large knives that would be a good comparison to the Chief. Police 4, Military, etc. I really miss having the Military around, it was a great one.

I also want to get a serrated H1 fixed blade to keep on my canoe this year for fishing. Something to cut my anchor rope in an emergency. A serrated H1 blade would also probably make an excellent tool for taking off heads and fins, and gutting the fish, before putting them in the Yeti for the trip back home.
February 19, 2022 09:40PM
Ryan,
I have the Spyderco Resilience, which is like a Tenacious but with a 4.25" blade:

[spyderco.com]

and now they also have a lightweight version:

[www.spyderco.com]
sal
February 22, 2022 04:27AM
Hi Kyley,

Thanx for the plug.

Lance has been a great ally and collaborator. His marketing aint bad either. He's a very bright guy. He and Lance Kelly are an asset to the group on the Spyderco forum. His knives are well thought out. A drag about the pop-up creating such an issue. We actually ended up having to do a great deal of change and testing to get it right.

The question about LC and MagnaCut is still in testing, both Real World Testing and lsb testing. I still like H1. I also sharpen often. ("V" Sharpeners out and open all over the place. 20,30 & 40) though serrated H1 still impresses me and a "Vivi coarse edge" on plain works very well. But I do like all of the testing that many are doing. Yeah, marketing is important and we've got to pay the bills and yaddayadda. But I'm also a truthseeker, like Cliff and most of you hangin' here.

G-10 is a major cost factor. FRN molds are costly, but G-10 is very resistant to change . Turning it into a handle has to be machined. Time consuming and hard on cutters.

Are you a knifemaker? What do you do?

sal
February 22, 2022 04:43AM
Sal,

I made knives as a very busy hobby. not any more. life changes. i made around 3500 knives over the years. my focus is always function and form over looks and decoration. you can see many of my works on cliffs youtube channel under cKc Knives. my focus is different from most though in that i tend to not be super interested in the high carbide steels and trying to follow the best edge retention on a piece of rope considerations. i run my outdoor knives typically at a maximum of 13dps, even on axes and large choppers so i get the performance from the geometry rather than the carbides. the process was one of experimentation in trying different steels, knives, styles tailored to what my channel and audience were after. i had a couple thousand videos, but they all got deleted a number of years back in an "accident" lol

i guess thinking about it more, G10 is hard on tooling vs injection molding.. i kind of prefer micarta in all my own applications. i remember dulling my bandsaw blade on a piece of g10 in about 5 seconds.. so i can take your point here. sometimes the smallest things can have dramatic changes in costs.

I am actually very happy with the H1 blade i have in plain edge. i cut bait on concrete with it, and have a very acute edge on it.. i dont mind spending 10 seconds restoring the edge each day and the edge retention was always sufficient for what i used it for as a bait and boat knife.

I'm actually a software developer by trade.
regards
Kyley
sal
February 22, 2022 06:05AM
Hi Kyley,

Thanx for the input. History makes a difference. Glad to meet you.

I agree that edge geometry and a friction free follow through will be the most efficient, at least until we get battery operated rechargeable pocket lasers. I learned a lot from Wayne Goddard, Ed Shempp, Cliff Stamp,et al. about edge geometry and how a small difference can make a big difference. Thanx for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Aerodynamics of the edge.

sal
February 22, 2022 04:01PM
sal
A drag about the pop-up creating such an issue. We actually ended up having to do a great deal of change and testing to get it right.

sal

is this referring to the issue i read about where the lock would lift up under force? glad to hear its been resolved. that must have been a head scratcher.

i just read through all the post on bloadeforums regarding in. sorry to hear that it became such a costly alteration, and i hope that enough sales will come through to recover the losses, because it is a great design.

I admire your ability to always be respectful and not go off at people like some other companies owners. you were professional throughout.

sure these things can be painful. no one likes to get a bad product.. but i sincerely doubt for most of the people that it was their one and only knife and debilitating their lives.

and at the end of the day. pop-up doesn't make a knife fail.. the same thing can happen on slipjoints with excessive force too.
me2
February 28, 2022 01:45AM
Looking forward to another Delica. I haven’t seen much on the high performance Delica since the original thread but I try to keep a lookout. I plan to further regrind my old Delica in the meantime as soon as the weather warms up.
sal
February 28, 2022 07:33AM
Hi Kyley,

Thanx much for the kind words. We would have preferred not to have the issue, but the issue was there. In our value system, the only proper thing to do was to figure out the problem, solve it, and take care of the customer. It was a tolerance issue where very small numbers made the difference. We're still replacing knives. And we'll cover the replacements before we send them to dealers. It isn't a safety issue, but it as a customer satisfaction issue. Not sure what we'll do with the knives we replaced?

Hi Me2,

It's still in the works. I would have preferred the model sooner, but I did get word they're working on it. The long term goal is to see if here is a market for a "High performance models". It would be a small quantity, but might be an interesting project. The Mule Team project seems to be gaining in interest lately. I'd like to see high performance "box" with which we could push the performance envelope.

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
March 02, 2022 06:14AM
sal
Not sure what we'll do with the knives we replaced?

That's a tough one for sure. its a lot of money to lay around in storage doing nothing.

As i'm not familiar with exactly what level of manipulation was required to get the design with better fitment against popup, i can only speculate if the blades as they are cannot be repurposed into new handles that would solve the problem?

i read you mentioned something about possibly putting them for sale as 2nd's

I'm curious if you do sell them as 2nds, are they marked in some way on the blades or handles as 2nds so people reselling them wont then just send them back to you again for a full replacement to a new one, getting a cheap way to get the new version?

if they are going to be sold as 2nds, i have no real need of one, but would be interested in knowing what the price of that might be to get one. As much as i like the design, i think the hard call most would make is that the price of the salt is pretty compelling even though its not G10 etc etc.

lastly. if they were genuinely going to need to be written off, then i think it would be worth marking them on the tangs in a way that is clear these were not sold items and consider a charitable donation to some poor area or country that relies on fishing as a subsistence living.

waste is a horrible thing.
sal
March 03, 2022 07:53PM
Hi Kyley,

We notch the spine of the 2nds so they are easily identifiable. 2nds are sold at very low prices. Below our mfg costs. It's kind of a gift to the locals.

sal
March 03, 2022 09:02PM
sal
Hi Kyley,

We notch the spine of the 2nds so they are easily identifiable. 2nds are sold at very low prices. Below our mfg costs. It's kind of a gift to the locals.

sal

If you do end up selling them as seconds please let me know how to get one. Thanks
sal
March 04, 2022 07:15PM
Hi Kyley,

Email me at salglesser@aol.com

sal
March 04, 2022 07:37PM
Has anyone used the Centofante 3? I always thought it looked like a decent EDC knife with its blade shape, pretty neutral handle, and the deep hollow grind on 2mm stock.
March 05, 2022 12:27AM
Ryan,
No, but I have wanted to get one for a long time. It is supposed to be a great cutter and thin BTE. The only thing I found not desirable is that it has a pinned pivot. I might just buy it the next chance I get, either that or the Stretch 2. I was going to get another PM2 also.
March 07, 2022 09:46AM
jasonstone20
I have wanted to get one for a long time. It is supposed to be a great cutter and thin BTE.
Me too, I like that stock thickess for a full sized knife very much, seems to me one of the best Spyderco models for what I use a knife for (no prying, digging, whatever).
Not that expensive either.
Also the Byrd line is awesome, maybe I will get a Cara Cara 2 soon.
March 12, 2022 08:34PM
sal,
I am also interested in buying one of the 2nd's. How do I go about doing that?
sal
March 16, 2022 01:33AM
Hi Jason,

My assistant, Gail, said she sent one to you today.

sal
March 16, 2022 03:36AM
sal,
Oh wow! Thank you very much!
March 16, 2022 05:46AM
Very generous
me2
March 16, 2022 03:13PM
I’m also considering a Wharnecliffe Endela. My Endura frightens the locals. Then again I’m also considering a Resilience so who cares about the locals.
March 22, 2022 04:34PM
sal
Hi Kyley,

Email me at salglesser@aol.com

sal

Sal, i received the knife today. a few comments on it, but nothing in regards to the issue that made the recall occur. this one seems to have no slop in the lock at all, and no popup under any stress. Is the problem something that will occur over time with some wear? im almost disappointed i was looking forward to experimenting with seeing if i could fix the popup or not. .haha..

aside from that. very nice knife. there is a little side play in the blade.. but i guess with small washers, and maybe its just not tightened down a slight fraction. the only other issue i noticed is that the blade grinding is uneven with one side much shorter than the other. Cuts very well though.

I will use it for a while doing some kitchen chores such as breaking down chickens and things as i have no fish where i am now, and see if anything develops over time with it.
March 22, 2022 07:16PM
Sal,
I got the knife you sent me on Sunday. It is a very nicely manufactured knife and has one of if not the best factory edges I have ever come across. It tree-tops my arm hair and still will slice folded paper towels. I really like the G10, it is more aggressive than Emerson G10, which I like, especially for a nautical/water knife. This knife reminds me of the Spyderco Wayne Goddard but with a flat ground AFCK or Native style blade, where the Spydie-hole isn't pronounced giving a knife the Spydie-bump. If I were to design a knife, this knife checks almost all of the features I like on a knife. The only thing I would want is a full-height hollow and it to be thinner behind the edge, but those are personal preferences. I am going to EDC this knife for a while and see if the lock-pop issue shows up, as mine didn't show signs of having it when tested. Sal, thank you for the awesome knife, it is an item that I will treasure, as well as use. I can't wait to see how it sharpens, as I haven't sharpened it yet. Again, thank you!

edit
PS: Fit and finish on the knife are Mid-Tech levels. The only thing I noticed was the edge grind was uneven, this shows at the tip of the knife. Save that, I have zero gripes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 07:22PM by jasonstone20.
March 22, 2022 08:41PM
Peel ply g10 always gets me. its such a personal preference thing. it feels like sandpaper to me. i rubbed both sides down with some 800grit and its still pleny grippy but without the sharp teeth that come on peel ply and thats good for me. that traction will make it very hard to slip in the wet.

i think the design is fantastic and look forward to putting it through its paces. when i get back to NZ it will definitely be getting put through the ringer.
March 22, 2022 08:49PM
cKc I’m kinda the opposite about my thoughts on G10, I like the aggressive texture. Like the Military or the Chief, I really like it being that grippy.
March 22, 2022 10:56PM
Ryan Nafe
cKc I’m kinda the opposite about my thoughts on G10, I like the aggressive texture. Like the Military or the Chief, I really like it being that grippy.

yeah. this is very much a personal thing. i have skin that is very nerve sensitive, so i prefer to get grip through the shape, rather than stippling.

when i looked close with my camera, this pattern looks like a file. sharp corners in one direction that will scrape your skin.. haha. very grippy. with gloves it would be great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login