Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blade Magazine: Offset Handled Knives

Posted by jasonstone20 
December 29, 2021 04:16AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2021 04:17AM by jasonstone20.
Re: Blade Magazine: Offset Handled Knives
December 30, 2021 03:34AM
Interesting article as I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive offset slicer primarily for cutting meat.

I cooked more roasts and briskets this last year so I got a Victorinox slicer (the sort with the rounded tip) with a 10" blade used off the bay. I put an edge back on it and did my best to micro-bevel it on a Norton fine India. I think a similar knife with an offset handle would be superior when working on a cutting board.

I might get a Mercer with the offset handle as I'm impressed with the quality to price on their Millennia line. The only qualm is that it seems to be a serrated knife, and I'm not very confident sharpening serrated knives.
December 30, 2021 04:18AM
Cal_Bowie,
My mother has a Dexter sandwich serrated knife with an offset handle, and it is surprisingly useful for a ton of tasks.
December 31, 2021 04:35AM
That's good to hear.

I'll probably get a Mercer just to experience the difference of cutting with the offset handle. As long as no one gets too crazy cutting strange things with it, I can probably touch up the serrations on my Sharpmaker. I've bought used serrated knives for cheap, and while I've gotten them sharper, I still don't get them anything like when they were new.
December 31, 2021 05:02PM
Cal_Bowie,
It helps to cut off the old steel apex by destressing the edge, and then using a light oil on the Spydero Tri-Angle rods, and extremely light pressure, as the points on the rod magnify pressure immensely.
me2
January 10, 2022 11:12AM
Spyderco makes some like this that are also more affordable than their standard kitchen line. They seem pretty good though they might be a little awkward for off board work.
February 08, 2022 02:08PM
I have some personal designs from way back with the offset... reduces mass and drag/stiction but keeps knuckle clearance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login