Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thanx much for creating this forum

Posted by sal 
sal
Thanx much for creating this forum
August 12, 2021 03:49PM
I'd like to thank all involved for making this phorum happen. It is appreciated. Cliff will be missed, but his past wisdom will endure. Perhaps sometime in the future, we can capture some of that wisdom in an Archive of sorts?

sal
Re: Thanx much for creating this forum
August 12, 2021 03:53PM
sal,
Yes, I have downloaded Cliff's Forum and we kept the old forum up as a read-only site so people can still read the work on the site, especially Cliff's work. Josh of Razor Edge Knives made a list of things that he learned from Cliff, and I was having a similar idea of listing all the things that I learned from Cliff:
[www.beyondt01micron.com]
August 12, 2021 09:58PM
Yeah thanks for doing this, everyone. I’m kinda useless when it comes to this kind of work so I appreciate the time and effort a lot.
August 13, 2021 03:08AM
Yes having everything archived will def. be important!
August 13, 2021 12:05PM
I like how it was towards and now its beyond.
Great idea of the new name for the forum.
August 13, 2021 08:14PM
Yeah I think that was Older Spice’s idea, JSCT. I think.
August 16, 2021 11:31PM
Indeed, thanks gentlemen.
February 08, 2022 11:58AM
Add my gratitude to the list. It took me a while to figure out Cliff had passed away. He and the original forum were hugely influential on my blades...

Hopefully this one will be too!
February 08, 2022 03:21PM
William,
Glad to have you on board. Now out of the regulars from the old forum, I think the only people left is ShaperAndMower and Chum that need to join here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2022 03:51PM by jasonstone20.
February 15, 2022 03:11AM
Jason, are you able to post a file of the archive? I'd like to have it backed up locally as well.
February 15, 2022 04:43AM
Cowan,
The old site is still up. I have a few copies on USB drives, it is about 25GB per drive/each copy. Because of a naming issue, I could only get it to back up using a *nix filename type. Unless you are using Linux or another *nix type system, I don't know if the files will read on another system.
sal
February 22, 2022 04:41AM
Hi Jason,

I miss Cliff. I had a communication with Cliff going on since he was at Bladeforums. Very impressive man. I learned a lot from him. When he left Bladeforums, I invited him to our forum, which he hung out for a while. He really was great. I think about him often. Like have the prof in the next chair. Then he left (some folks can be ...) and it took me a while to find this place. I really appreciate Jason for his efforts in pulling this off.

I was thinking (sometimes a dangerous activity) that if you have some of his older discussions, you might present one a month for a modern opinion on the subjects.....or has it become fact? I believe that Cliff would want us to continue to use our minds, even on older thoughts.

Also, if one of you guys can get it recorded, CD, DVD or whatever, I would love to have a copy. And I would be happy to pay for the service.

sal
February 22, 2022 10:28PM
sal,
I wish I could take credit for making this forum, but Kyley Harris (cKc) is the one who made it and paid for the forum. I was going to do it myself, but Kyley beat me to it. He made the forum very quickly, in one day. it would have taken me about a week to set everything up and a month to save the money for the forum. I most likely will take over the payments for the server when the initial 2 years run out.

As far as the USB version of Cliff's forum, I have a version that will work with Linux (I am a Free and Open Source Software fanatic). I can make one that works with Windows, I just need to wait until the beginning of the month. The old forum is about 29GB of data.
April 06, 2022 04:29AM
I have the 5 USB drives to make copies of Cliff's old forum for those who want them. I have 1 reserved for Sal and one for Cowan, so if you guys could let me know if you want them in Windows or Linux format, as that is the OS I have access to right now. That leaves 3 left for anyone who wants them. I was also going to post instructions on how to make your own USB version of the Old Forum for anyone that want's to know. It takes several hours to make a single version of the USB with the Old Forum on it, so it will take me a few days to get these made.
April 06, 2022 10:32PM
I would take one, 29GB is kinda big but I'm think of placing it on the "cloud" to ensure its backed up in multiple local and remote locations.
April 07, 2022 02:13AM
Older Spice,
Ok. Do you want a Windows version or Linux?
April 07, 2022 02:34AM
Windows
May 02, 2022 04:52AM
Ok, I will just make them all in Windows since I haven't heard from anyone else that they need another format, and 99% of computers run Windows these days. Hopefully, I will get to work on these tomorrow, and then out the door this week. I need everyone's contact info so I can send them to you, just DM me here or email me at akjbone20@gmail.com
May 11, 2022 03:34AM
I am having a little difficulty getting the forum downloaded in Windows 10. I think I found a way to get it downloaded, it is a ported Linux program, and it is going to take me a little playing around with it to get it to work, just like I did for the Linux version. I just need to remember the settings to get it to work right, as of now it keeps losing the connection partway through the download. Same issue happened in Linux, and I fixed it, so I just need to play around with it a little.
July 25, 2022 01:53AM
I think I figured out how I downloaded the old forum on Linux, and I think I can do it on Windows, so hopefully, I will get it down tomorrow. Sorry it has been taking so long.

[letswp.justifiedgrid.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 01:55AM by jasonstone20.
July 25, 2022 03:51AM
Well, I got it downloading the old forum website tonight, so hopefully it will be done in the morning. It is around 26GB if I remember correctly. Copies will be available to be mailed out as soon as the download finishes, so DM me your address and I will send you one. Everyone that already DM'd me no need to DM me again, I have you on the list of people to send one to.
July 26, 2022 03:57PM
Two days later and still downloading..........
July 27, 2022 02:57AM
Well, the first download finished but didn't work. I am trying again.
July 27, 2022 12:12PM
Second try was no good either, this time some of the links worked and some went to the website. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm
July 29, 2022 05:15PM
FINALLY! Got it working! So I just need to wait now for the 1st of the month so I have the resources to send these out. Stamps.com is awesome, it is what I like to use. The wget command that finally worked is this

WIndows Terminal
C:\Users\jason\Downloads>wget -c --mirror --convert-links --html-extension --adjust-extension --compression=auto --no-check-certificate -U Google [www.cliffstamp.com]
July 29, 2022 11:46PM
Ok, I have one USB copy made, and it works. Takes a little while to copy, like a few hours. I am thinking of setting up a torrent so people can download it. It is 10.5GB.
July 31, 2022 11:39PM
Alrighty, I have the torrent made. It is rather large at 65MB, but the download file is 10.5GB, so I guess that fits. DM me if you want the link to the torrent file so you can download it. It will take a few hours to download as I am currently the one and only seed.
August 01, 2022 05:38AM
Ok, the USB copies are made and I can make more if needed. They should be going out as soon as I can get to it, hopefully tomorrow
September 11, 2022 09:14AM
Again, thanks so much for creating this forum, very happy to see sal and the lads came over.

Just came back a bit into the knife game a while back and so much has changed. Hope you guys all the best.
sal
September 15, 2022 02:30AM
finally back into being here. Been very busy.

sal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login