Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Christmas 2021 Stocking Fillers (What knives did you buy)

Posted by cKc (Kyley Harris) 
Christmas 2021 Stocking Fillers (What knives did you buy)
November 15, 2021 05:10PM
I really dont need knives in the Philippines city, so they are all kind of desk jockeys to stare at..

so i got something appropriate to be useful around the house.

Moraknife Eldris Light Duty

its the new light duty eldris.

its odd why its called light duty. you'd think its the hard duty as it doesn't have the thinned out front section of the blade..
but it does have a polished blade instead of raw blade, and rounded spine instead of sharp fire steel spine..
so i think they mean its not the "hard use" bushcrafty tool..

dont know the edge angle, but its going to be thicker than what im used to. my curiosity will be in using this scandi as is and seeing if i get annoyed by it or not. i dont know if it will keep it scandi or incredibly slowly over time start thinning that bevel each time i sharpen. that will be part of the discovery.

my Martinni that i got last year is similar thickness, but has a much lower angle from appearances.. like 10dps, which is a nice blade.

i actually much prefer thinner blade profiles like boning knives, martinni etc than i do the high wide blades. just for the turning power which i prefer in most things i do
Re: Christmas 2021 Stocking Fillers (What knives did you buy)
November 15, 2021 10:13PM
I had the regular Eldris on my radar but never pulled the trigger because I assume I won't like the tallness of the blade. The full sized, well rounded grip with the short blade must give great control.

Colors do wonders, the blue handle will for sure attract much less attention if you use it in public.
November 16, 2021 09:19PM
I handled the Eldris at the Mora booth at Blade Show West 2018. Very hand filling handle, nice knife. I keep meaning to get one.
November 16, 2021 11:20PM
companies like mora etc that have high quality factories that can make really high quality knife handles with good ergonomics dirt cheap etc are impossible to beat. one of the primary things i like about mora over so many knives is the sheaths. i really like the style of sheath like this without all the superflous bulk provided by kydex and leather.

im also not sure about the blade height. i like blades this side in the profile of a swiss army knife size wise, but this type of blade is good if you just do straight cuts most of the time

its a shame they dont start doing full height grinds on a lot of their models, while still retaining the 11dps edge profile.
November 17, 2021 06:47AM
Kyley,
Well they do have the one Fishermans/Fillet Knife:

[www.amazon.com]
November 17, 2021 11:20PM
jasonstone20
Well they do have the one Fishermans/Fillet Knife:

I have one of these (Morakniv "Fishing Comfort Fillet 090", or "Companion Fishing Fillet 090", as the manufacturer's site calls it currently...looks like the same knife). I haven't used it significantly yet, so I can't review it, but I may post some measurements of it in New Knives at some point, as the manufacturer's site does not say much about the blade itself.
December 01, 2021 09:01PM
alkali
I may post some measurements of it in New Knives at some point, as the manufacturer's site does not say much about the blade itself.

Posted.
December 13, 2021 06:25PM
For me, I think a good stocking stuffer would be either a fine or coarse DMT Pocket Plate. One of the ones that come with a leather pouch. They’re only like $20 to $25, and with a little explanation and demonstration, the person could use it on basically any knife or other edged tool.
December 13, 2021 06:30PM
Coal and lime.
December 13, 2021 07:18PM
Older Spice
Coal and lime.

Never underestimate the importance of a Scrooge. Every family needs one, otherwise things will be out of balance and way too cheerful.
December 13, 2021 07:35PM
haha..

i have a number of things in transit.. but none will be here for xmas.

i have a Mora Eldris on the way, a set of Marttini Cabin Chef knives (very much looking forward to this)

and a small sebenza 31 which a friend just bought and decided he'd prefer an inkosi, so im taking it off his hands.
December 15, 2021 09:19PM
cKc (Kyley Harris)
a set of Marttini Cabin Chef knives (very much looking forward to this)

The straight wooden handles look promising.

I will be interested in hearing how the phyllite stone behaves (if the set you ordered includes one), on these knives or others.
December 16, 2021 12:15AM
Those Marttiini chef knives look very interesting, if they’re using the same steel that they use on their classic fillet knives then I’m sure they’ll be great in the kitchen. That stuff is pretty corrosion resistant and takes a sharp edge with very little effort, I’ve got a few of their fillet knives. They work well. The Santoku type knife in that line looks like a solid small chef pattern. More of a usable point than my Spyderco K08.
December 16, 2021 12:16PM
alkali

a set of Marttini Cabin Chef knives (very much looking forward to this)

The straight wooden handles look promising.

I will be interested in hearing how the phyllite stone behaves (if the set you ordered includes one), on these knives or others.

Yes it has the stone. Something I'm also interested in as this is a very traditional stone in that area. See how it behaves on this type. Of steel
October 06, 2023 07:00AM
cKc
Yes it has the stone. Something I'm also interested in as this is a very traditional stone in that area. See how it behaves on this type. Of steel

Any thoughts on the phyllite stone?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login