Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

W2 Custom Monster Finished (For Cliff + Chopping vids)

Posted by Future Samurai 
W2 Custom Monster Finished (For Cliff + Chopping vids)
May 16, 2022 12:24AM
Well, this took longer than I expected. This knife has actually been done for awhile, but I honestly forgot that I was supposed to follow up with this. I thought I would start a brand new thread now that my beast is all finished. For those of you that don't know the background of this piece, It is inspired by Cliff's Dan Keffeler Custom, which I always loved. If you'd like to know more in-depth background info about the knife, since there's so much stuff, please refer to the first thread I created for it: [www.beyondt01micron.com]

Now... onto the main event. The knife turned out amazing, and better than I thought I could ever make. Very pleased with it.

Final Specs:
Blade-Length = 14"
Handle-Length = 7.5"
Steel = 1095+V (W2)
Thickness = 0.265"
Blade-Width = 2.5" (All through the body of the blade, making for very nice balance despite the huge mass)
Weight = 2.55lbs (1155g) (I believe Cliff's sat right around 1200kgs as well. Mine is probably a tad lighter because I omitted a protruding guard, and the design of the tang is not completely same).
The blade came out with a slight curvature which is a result of the hardening, and I think it adds a bit of personality to the knife overall.

*I will note as for the functionality of a guard: This blade is so wide, that the body serves as a more than adequate guard in itself. Therefore I didn't really feel it was necessary. In my humble opinion, dare I say (don't kill me Dan lol), the knife has a 'cleaner' aesthetic flowing look to it without a guard. But perhaps it's just me grinning smiley

Any way here are some pictures, finished with a very simple 30min lemon juice etch:

Hope you guys enjoy, as I know a few were curious on seeing this knife completed and performing. Here is a video cutting some Sycamore roots. I have another video rendering at the moment of some sectioning on a pretty knotty Xmas tree, I'll be posting it when it's ready. Thanks!

*Note, this video was does before final handle assembly and blade cleanup. I have since thinned the edge from what it is here.

-Future Samurai

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 03:20PM by Future Samurai.
Re: W2 Custom Monster Finished (For Cliff + Chopping vids)
May 18, 2022 10:53PM
Very nice. Take care while chopping, and keep us updated as your try new things with it.
May 18, 2022 10:57PM
Oh, that is beautiful!!
May 19, 2022 07:10AM
Solid work, that looks fun and interesting to use.
May 23, 2022 11:55PM
Older Spice
Very nice. Take care while chopping, and keep us updated as your try new things with it.

Yep, this is a tool that definitely on that deserves quite a lot of respect.

Actually out of comic relief, I've actually been screwing around with it in the kitchen, using it on vegetables, fruit, ect. Performs quite will due to the geometry/lean grind/edge angle etc.
May 23, 2022 11:57PM
jasonstone20
Oh, that is beautiful!!

Thanks Jason! I appreciate it.
May 23, 2022 11:58PM
Ryan Nafe
Solid work, that looks fun and interesting to use.

Thank you. Yes, it's quite fun to use if I'm honest. Sometimes I purposefully look for excuses to bring it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login