Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

alternate tarp material

Posted by William 
alternate tarp material
February 24, 2022 07:44PM
I've been experimenting with tarp material for a while. Used to use the standard woven polyethylene but our chickens ate the stringy bits all the time and that turns out not to be good for their guts. Also the strings would get in the lawnmower and snowblower.

For the last few years we have used 6mil polyethylene vapor barrier. Turns out our food sealer also welds this material so odd sizes or shapes can be made, including flexible buckets, custom covers, loops etc. Makes great storage bags.

Love the silnylon but it's very expensive.

Typar is strong for its mass but for the record, it does not weld in the food sealer in a way that is useful i.e. the material is weak at the weld.
Re: alternate tarp material
March 02, 2022 07:05PM
This is similar to what I’m gonna try using (this summer) for a backpacking/bugout bag tarp: plastic painters’ drop cloths. Inexpensive, relatively lightweight, completely wind and waterproof. It should make a really excellent barrier layer in a shelter. Natural materials for the bulk of the structure, and the plastic drop cloth for a wind/water/weather barrier that’s much better than just pine boughs.
March 14, 2022 08:09PM
Ryan I've heard of ultralight campers using those by taping loops on. One of the important features was using either D rings or tubes (like bits of arrowshaft material) to spread the sheer loads as evenly as possible on the tape.

Actually if you don't care too much about the look, you can use the old technique of tying in a pebble for tie-outs... that would be strongest. Or the new technique of a cap and top from a plastic bottle.
March 15, 2022 03:17AM
William
Actually if you don't care too much about the look, you can use the old technique of tying in a pebble for tie-outs... that would be strongest. Or the new technique of a cap and top from a plastic bottle.

That’s what I would do, assuming I have cordage. Anything that doesn’t require cutting the plastic will be the most durable way to go with that stuff.
February 12, 2024 11:46AM
William
Typar is strong for its mass but for the record, it does not weld in the food sealer in a way that is useful i.e. the material is weak at the weld.

If it is similar to Tyvek that certainly makes sense. Reducing the weird cotton-candy structure to plain old bulk plastic seems like it should let the magic out. But I am glad someone has actually tried it.

DuPont's page on bonding Tyvek may or may not have any surprises for you but it is interesting reading:
[www.dupont.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login