Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SZCO Supplies 12.5"" Folding Sport Fish Filleting Knife

Posted by jasonstone20 
SZCO Supplies 12.5"" Folding Sport Fish Filleting Knife
March 05, 2022 08:21AM
I picked up one of these about a week ago, even though I ordered it a couple of weeks ago for $4.95USD:

[www.amazon.com]

It came in a plain white box, in a plastic bag inside the box. The knife is very light for its size, it weighs 2.5 oz. It is 7" closed, with a 5.5" blade, with a 5" cutting edge, and is 12.5" long with the blade open. It has a full-height hollow, a feature I wish more knives would have. The spine thickness is 1/16". The blade height is 0.59". The edge is thick behind the edge, at the heel: 0.030", mid-blade: 0.027", and 0.050" at the tip. The blade has intermediate burrs on the edge and is scrape shaving sharp. There is no pocket clip, but there is a lanyard hole. The mid-Lockback seems to lock up solid, and there is very little up and down play. This knife would be good to throw in the truck, work van, tackle box, or toolbox as a beater knife that has decent length and a sturdy blade.
Re: SZCO Supplies 12.5"" Folding Sport Fish Filleting Knife
March 05, 2022 10:16AM
2 questions. do you know how to fillet fish? have you bought some fish to test it out? smiling smiley
March 05, 2022 07:26PM
cKc,
I used to know, as I used to go fishing a lot when I was younger, but that was a long time ago. Even though this knife is called a fillet knife, it really needs to be reground and given a proper sharpening before it would work. The Benchmade folding fillet knife was more suited for the task:

And no, I haven't gotten any fish to try this knife out on. I got it to be a utility knife, as I find long, short-in-height blades handy for some tasks.
March 06, 2022 05:49PM
cKc,
Do you prefer a flexible fillet knife or a more rigid one? Also, what finish on the edge do you like for your fille knives?
March 07, 2022 01:57AM
jasonstone20
cKc,
Do you prefer a flexible fillet knife or a more rigid one? Also, what finish on the edge do you like for your fille knives?

depends on what im doing. i use multiple knives. the skinning knife is a 10" minimum lexible knife. so that it can bend to the board and get a long clean stroke without cutting the skin.
when actually doing the fillets a stiffer knife is preferrable because i am tearing through pin bones and sometimes ribs.

on pretty much all meat knives i prefer a knife that is a little bit toothy and cuts well with a sawing motion. but it cant be coarse, because that will rip up the soft fish flesh.

a lof the peference will come to the fish species
March 07, 2022 02:00AM
cKc,
The type of fish we have here in the rivers are Salmon, Steelhead, Trout, and Sturgeon mostly. I think in the lakes there are Perch and Bass, along with Carp.
March 07, 2022 09:56AM
victory knives catalog

this is a catalog for a NZ knife company. more localized. similar to F Dick or victorinox. very good quality.

RABBITERS KNIFE on PDF page 17, is a great little knife i use for a bit knife, and dispatching knife if i don't have an iki spike, or want to bleed them. i really like this because it has a mora style sheath available.

same page
OUTDOOR KNIFE - this is a carbon steel outdoor knife full flat ground thinner than most kitchen knives, but i didn't use that for fishing

page 19 pdf is the filleting knives

NARROW FILLETING KNIFE 22cm is what i used for skinning. same style shorter one for taking fillets
March 07, 2022 07:42PM
cKc,
Nice. I remember you sharing this years ago. I managed to find some places in the USA where you can get Victory Knives, years ago when you talked about them on the old forum it was hard to find them.
[www.davisonsbutcher.com]
March 08, 2022 10:54AM
nice. they have the rabbit knife in pink. i should buy that one for a friend. it will never get lost.
March 08, 2022 11:16AM
cKc,
Yeah, the Rabbit knife looks nice. They have some others I like to, good selection.
March 08, 2022 12:19PM
jasonstone20
cKc,
Yeah, the Rabbit knife looks nice. They have some others I like to, good selection.

i dont like that ground shipping is $30USD.. lol. sounds outrageous when it should be 5-6$
March 08, 2022 01:44PM
cKc,
Shipping for me says $22 USD....That is ridiculous. I might as well order straight from Victory Knives in NZ.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login