Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lansky Responder

Posted by jasonstone20 
Lansky Responder
March 05, 2022 05:48AM
I got this from Amazon today:

Amazon Lansky Responder

It was $16USD. The factory edge caught arm hairs above the skin, and it isn't a horrible flipper, you can flip it without using wrist action. Also, it sliced folded paper towel. Not a lot of slicing aggression, but it did have some. The 'ballistic glass-filled nylon' is in two pieces on the show side, a black part on the pivot and a green part near the end of the knife. Also, it has one piece on the back, the black nylon on the front and the back is the same more coarse, grippy texture, while the green nylon is smoother. The length of the blade is 3.5" o the box, I measured 3.25" cutting edge, and 4" including the choil and flipper. The weight is 5.6 oz, marked on the box 5.5oz. The steel is 9Cr18MoV which is something close to 440C. Overall length is 7" marked on the package, but I measure 8". It has a lanyard hole, as well as a 'skull crusher' point on the end of the knife. It is an older design, the date on the package is 2015. Speaking of design, it is designed by one of my favorite designers Mikkel Willumsen. It is the EDC size version of the larger Responder X9, which if I remember correctly, has a 4" 12C27 and G10 handle. I seem to favor the 3.5" blades for my 24/7 EDC, although I can really appreciate a 4"+ blade. The blade has a deep, short saber hollow grind, which should be good for shallow cuts in non-binding material. More to come....

PS: I also picked up the Responder X9, when it comes I will check that one out here too.........

PPS: With all these budget knives I am buying, Kyley reminded me that I could have a Sebenza by now if I saved the money I spent on the budget knives, lol! smiling bouncing smiley
Re: Lansky Responder
March 05, 2022 10:09AM
Just for fun. this is not a channel that just tests practical use. it is most definately noss style in a way, but for folders.

Entertainment value more than anything and a good look at the knife. at 7:50 he nearly chops his fingers off being a fool and switching from holding the knife with a gloved hand, to an unprotected hand so he can use the glove to hit the knife with a mallet. really stupid shit..

If you are going to do a destruction test like that. hold the knife on the back and sides. dont wrap your fingers over the path of the blade (headshake)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2022 10:13AM by cKc (Kyley Harris).
March 05, 2022 10:10AM
I'll be interested what you think of it after a while, but as far as cutting geometry, it seems off
March 05, 2022 07:51PM
cKc,
Yeah, the cutting geometry is definitely not high. I checked the lock on mine doing my normal spine whack and batoning the spine of the blade, and the lock was fine. That guy was lucky he still has all his digits. Also, this blade has a flipper tab, so there is safety there. I really liked this knife because it has two features of a knife I really like, an opening hole of some kind, and a negative blade rake. It will be interesting to see how it does, I plan to carry it for a month or so(my normal evaluation time).
March 13, 2022 04:10AM
I got the bigger Lansky Responder X9 last week. It is massive and heavy, it dwarfs the EDC Responder:

9.125" (X9) vs 8" (EDC) OAL. 3.625" (X9) vs 3.125" (EDC) Cutting Edge, 1.75" (X9) vs 1.5" (EDC) Blade Height at Heel, 5.75" (X9) vs. 4.75" (EDC) Handle Length.

8.4 oz vs 5.5 oz

It does feel like it has better build quality, but that could be an illusion from the extra heft. For some reason, most of us evaluate lighter objects as cheaper, and more robust items as quality (in general). The G10 is nice, with a dual texture. You can tell the difference between the G10 of the X9 and the fiberglass-filled ballistic nylon of the EDC model. One note is that the X9 came with a tip-down pocket clip placement, while the EDC came with a tip-up clip. I think that makes sense, the larger blades carried with tip-down orientation are easier to open quickly, as you don't have to shuffle your hand up the blade to open the knife. I plan on carrying these two knives (at the same time) exclusively for the next month, as the X9 is big enough for SD work. The pocket clips on the same, very deep carry and the inset one screw type. More to come...
March 26, 2022 04:48AM
Well, since I got that new Spyderco from Sal, this evaluation is going to be put on hold until I get done testing out the Siren.
May 01, 2022 09:46PM
the siren is better. evaluation over grinning smiley

i also need to get around to using some of the knives i have
May 02, 2022 04:49AM
Kyley,
Yeah, there is nothing that kills the enthusiasm of a budget knife than a great knife company's product. LOL, oh well. I think I have enough budget knives to do a video series, a roundup video, and a thread here. I have carried all but two I think, after I do that, I will get to work making the videos and the thread here. Now I can focus on buying quality knives that I really care about and have pride of ownership that I cherish. Maybe I will save up for a CRK Sebenza, who knows? lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login