Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco Siren C247G

Posted by jasonstone20 
Spyderco Siren C247G
March 26, 2022 05:03AM
So I got this knife from Sal as a 2nd, but as a gift(thanks Sal!), because apparently there was a lock-pop issue with the first runs of the knife. I am on the lookout for the lock-pop issue, but so far my knife doesn't exhibit it. I did use the Spyderco Goldenstone to give it a maintenance/touch-up sharpening, 10 PPS, and then stopped on my vintage CERTIF'D CCCP Russian Leather hanging strop. I really didn't expect the knife to get sharper, but it did, and the slicing aggression improved also. I am not really ready to give a full review yet, but I did want to document what I am doing with the knife until the review(that being said, this knife is EXTREMELY well made). Until then, here are some specs on the knife from Spyderco's website:

[www.spyderco.com]

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C247G/Siren/1806
Overall Length 8.73" (222mm)
Blade Length 3.60" (91mm)
Steel LC200N
Closed Length 5.12" (130mm)
Edge Length 3.49" (89mm)
Weight3.4oz (96g)
Blade Thickness 0.125" (3.2mm)
Handle G-10
Clip Position Ambi
Tip Carry Position Tip-Up
Lock Type Back Lock
Grind Full-Flat
SheathN/A
Origin
United States
Re: Spyderco Siren C247G
March 26, 2022 06:45AM
I found some info online researching the knife, some of it from the designer of the knife:

Lance Clinton
1 year ago
1.27K subscribers
Hey Slicey Dicey, thanks for the review and feedback. I hope you don’t mind if I borrow your comment section to offer a little background on the Siren design. The Siren actually WAS designed as an EDC knife and not a “fishing knife” per se. It just happens that an EDC knife for me needs to be capable on the water. Haha. I think the idea of what makes a good “EDC” will vary from person to person depending on what they actually do on a daily basis. I work outdoors and spend all of my free time on the deck of a kayak or in the rainforest. To me an EDC knife needs to have a fair bit of blade length, extreme corrosion resistance, a positive grip and a prominent guard for use with wet, bloody or sweaty hands. I also carry IWB because I’m often in boardshorts with no pockets so a heavy texture and lock back design with close bias that won’t jostle open are big pluses. I guess what I would call an EDC knife might be more of an “outdoor” or weekend adventure knife for a lot of folks but it just depends on what “everyday use” means to you. Anyway, all your points are completely valid, I just wanted to offer some thoughts from the designers perspective. Thanks again for taking the time to review the Siren.

March 26, 2022 07:50AM

It appears that a few reviewers got the purpose of this knife wrong, thinking it is a fishing knife, while the designer actually made an outdoors EDC knife:

YouTube Comments
Pinned by Nick Shabazz
Lance Clinton
1 year ago
1.27K subscribers
Hey Nick, thanks for taking the time to review the Siren! One note from the designer. I designed the Siren as an EDC for myself but my life has changed a fair bit since I was working in an office so many years ago. Ultimately, the Siren is designed to be an Outdoorsman’s everyday carry or an adventure knife for a weekend warrior. Although it may not be your average guys “office carry” I think most folks get out in the woods or water enough to find a place for it in the lineup. Thanks again. ????????

Nick Shabazz

Also, along with how it is to be carried, it is designed to be carried IWB (this is how I carry my knives, for maximum retention and concealment), not in the pocket.
sal
March 26, 2022 06:07PM
Hi Jason,

When it was learned that some of the Siren models had a "pop-up" problem, we solved the problem, though it took a year and a lot of testing.

Once the problem was sorted, we offered to replace any of the earlier pieces. Of those that were returned, some were better than other. We selected one of the better ones for you to play with.

sal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2022 06:01PM by sal.
March 26, 2022 06:09PM
sal,
Well, you guys picked a real beauty of a knife! I am seldom impressed these days with most new knives, but this one knocked me back on my heels!
April 05, 2022 12:49AM
sal
Hi Jason,

When it was learned tat some of the Siren models had a "pop-up" problem, we solved the problem, though it took a year and a lot of testing.

Once the problem was sorted, we offered to replace any of the earlier pieces. Of those that were returned, some were better than other. We selected one of the better ones for you to play with.

sal

Hi Sal. the one i received also has no pop-up issue under any load i can create. because i have big hands, if i squeeze really tightly, of course the meat of my hand can depress it, but thats normal.

some minor issues on the one i got were an uneven grind side to side, easily fixed, and much more tension on the lock than any other spyderco i have had. it felt like it was galling a little. i dismantled it and adjusted the spring a little and now have a knife that, even if it is a second, would be hard to tell apart from any other knife i'd own for a few weeks.

the tolerances around that stop pin are very tight. i can see why the people trying to dismantle this and put it back together without understanding the way it works were having such trouble.

i can't really see any reason to ever dismantle the knife though unless sand got jammed up between the washers.

I'm "almost" disappointed that the popup issue doesn't occur, as my curiosity wanted to find a way to solve the problem at an individual level.

all in all. i can't wait until i have the opportunity to get this in the ocean. its a very nice knife

its a very comfortable knife, for my large hands.

i did rub the sides down with some sandpaper to soften that g10 a little though. i have very nerve sensitive skin.
April 05, 2022 02:37AM
Well, I measured the edge angle and behind the edge thickness. 0.022" BTE, and 15DPS with a 18-20DPS microbevel.
sal
April 07, 2022 02:46AM
Hi guys,

As I said, "some" of the knives had a pop-up issue. The knives that we sent you were selected among the returns to have minimal to no pop-up. It was a bit if a bugger to correct though. very minor adjustments were made, but testing the solutions was necessary and takes time.

I think the issue was not nearly big as it was made out to be, but you know how that goes. "The sky is falling". I'm glad that we were ble to solve it, especially since there are always other problems to solve in a company in addition to building knives.

sal
April 08, 2022 03:25AM
Sal,
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised that the knife didn't have the lock pop-up issue. The way it sounded on the forums was that it was a widespread issue. That must take a little getting used to in business to have to eat part of a project like that, and dump even more time and resources into fixing it. Especially when the problem is not presenting itself readily, that is more difficult, as intermediate issues are often the hardest to figure out, as I learned from doing work with Cliff and Kyley. Good thing this isn't your first rodeo, right? lol
sal
April 09, 2022 06:04PM
Hi Jason, Kyley,

Glad you like them. Yes Jason, we live and learn.

sal
May 07, 2022 06:50AM
I couldn't resist taking the knife to my Zuk sharpener and using the Venev 6" x 1" Centaur stones on it to make a mirror edge. I know it really doesn't make sense to sharpen an already sharp blade, and Cliff and Kyley would frequently question why I would do such a thing, but the fact simply comes down to that I like sharpening, and I believe a mirror edge on a knife is visually attractive. Plus, if I can scrape a little extra sharpness out a full sharpening vs a 'touch-up' sharpening since I had noticed that an edge gets sharper with a full sharpening. I can say that the accuracy of the edge angle on the knife was the best I had seen in a knife, which leads me to believe that the problems that some people had complained about have more to do with the angle symmetry of the main blade grind, as my knife also had issues with the main blade grind not being very symmetric. I am not complaining, as I have really only seen a few custom knives that have had decent blade symmetry on the main grind. Anyhow, the blade now shaves my arm hair above the skin, hairs just pop on contact with the edge. The steel is really great for getting sharp and easy to sharpen, and it reminds me of an AEB-L with a good heat treatment.
September 06, 2022 12:23AM
I am very happy with this knife. It is wearing a mirror polished edge, with a Norton F India micro-bevel. The knife easily passes Kyley Harris's (cKc Knives) bamboo skewer test, and it proves the "Rule of 15" I came up with: 15*DPS, 0.015" BTE, 15u edge finish, is the beginning of performance edge cutting for a pocket knife. Spyderco has been at the forefront of production knife performance for as long as I can remember, and it is nice that they still continue that tradition of performance and excellence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login