Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

We Don't Need No (visible) Bevels!

Posted by jasonstone20 
We Don't Need No (visible) Bevels!
March 08, 2022 04:31PM
I was talking to Kyley Harris (cKc) a while back and he was telling me that his main bevels are basically what most people would call micro-bevels. I decided to try that out myself, so I started thinning out my knives so my main bevel was basically a micro-bevel. Here is a picture of how I used to have my bevels and how I have them now. You can see with the Victorinox Sentinal that there is barely if any visible bevel, while the Spyderco PM2 has a very wide visible bevel in comparison. You don't need power tools to do this, the Victorinox Sentinal was thinned out on a Norton Economy UPB-6 SiC stone, and then partially refinished (I couldn't get all the way to the spine and the edge, and there were still deep scratches left by the Norton Economy) with Wet/Dry SiC paper wrapped around a 'push-stick'. The Spyderco PM2 was sharpened with a KME sharpener, with the rod pivot turned upside down to get the lowest angle possible, and it was sharpened with the Sigma II Select stones, all the way up to 13k. The Victorinox Sentinal is wearing the Wayne Goddard edge, which is a Norton (M) Crystolon followed by a Norton (F) India, stropped on green compound (Woodstock Extra-Fine).
me2
Re: We Don't Need No (visible) Bevels!
March 12, 2022 11:54AM
When I regrind my Delica again that is what I intend to do. I’d like the thickness at the top of the bevel to be less than 0.01”. That makes for easy sharpening and for that knife it won’t have any strength issues. I’m waiting for spring and I figure there is at least one more sharpening before it gets above my arbitrary limit of 0.025”
March 12, 2022 07:36PM
me2
I’d like the thickness at the top of the bevel to be less than 0.01”. That makes for easy sharpening and for that knife it won’t have any strength issues.

Amazing how strong steel is, and how thin you can get them as long as you don't do dumb things like use your knife as a pry bar.
me2
March 12, 2022 09:08PM
When I get all my reloading caught up I plan to move my knife stuff back in. My first project is a new set of kitchen knives with optimized geometry. I want to use a steel soft enough to be filed. A repurposed Cold Steel machete would be about perfect. For those I want an edge thickness less than 0.005”.
March 13, 2022 01:23AM
me2
When I get all my reloading caught up I plan to move my knife stuff back in. My first project is a new set of kitchen knives with optimized geometry. I want to use a steel soft enough to be filed. A repurposed Cold Steel machete would be about perfect. For those, I want an edge thickness less than 0.005”.

Yeah, I am focusing on LockSport myself when I am feeling well. I did tell myself I wasn't going to let my sharpening skills degrade as I did two years ago, so I try and sharpen at least once a week.
May 12, 2022 07:52PM
I recently did that too on some knives, a victorinox pioneer, a couple paring knives and a Spyderco Chaparral (kind of, edge bevel is still visible but it's about half a millimeter wide and a little bit less than 10tho bte, I didn't bring to zero because the less tough steel concerned me, I will eventually do in the future).
Sharpening feels a lot like cheating now spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I will eventually do that on my other knives, I'm just a too busy atm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login