Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco Golden Stone

Posted by jasonstone20 
Spyderco Golden Stone
August 08, 2021 03:33PM
I got this the other day, mainly because Spyderco doesn't make the 701F Profile rod anymore, and to go along with my 701M Profile rod:
[cdn.brandfolder.io]

[www.spyderco.com]

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=385
Shaped like a duck’s foot, the Golden Stone is a compact, versatile sharpening device that automatically sets the proper sharpening angle. Hold it by the narrow end and place the scalloped end on a flat surface. Tilting the stone from side to side creates a 20-degree sharpening angle on the outer edges of the stone. All you have to do is keep the plane of your blade vertical and draw the edge alternately along each side to sharpen. Other features allow easy sharpening of scissors, serrated edges, and pointed objects and its suede carry case also acts as a non-slip tabletop pad. The Golden Stone is easily cleaned with household cleanser, a scouring pad, and water.

Made in USA.

This is very handy sharpening tool. Not only does it have the eclipse/cat-eye edges of the 701 Profile stones, you can set it on its wide side length-wise and set a 20* edge/micro-bevel. Lay it on it's edge horizontal, and you get a 12.5* angle. Nick Shabazz's video does an excellent review of this product also:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2021 06:54PM by jasonstone20.
Attachments:
open | download - 308F_Both.png (82 KB)
Re: Spyderco Goldens Stone
August 11, 2021 02:32AM
Sharpening video of me sharpening a Morakniv 510 using a Naniwa #400 SuperStone, 2K Aotoshi "Green Brick of Joy", 8K Gouken Fuji, and micro-beveled on the Spyderco Golden Stone: [20min]

Re: Spyderco Golden Stone
August 20, 2021 02:57AM
As this stone has two 20° sides, the knife program ShaperAndMower and I wrote should work with it also, using the 20° rotation of the Sharpmaker section to work out the angle desired. At about 45°, you get a 13° per side angle. File is attached, and should open in any browser that supports Javascript.
Attachments:
open | download - vsa3.html (13.5 KB)
August 29, 2021 03:11PM
Do you use oil on your ceramic stones?

If so, what kind?
I find laxative mineral oil perhaps too thick.
Kerosene is smelly, but I like it better on low permeable stones.
August 29, 2021 04:39PM
jj_sharp,
Yes, I use oil. Usually baby oil, or if I have the laxative mineral oil, I will take a bottle and mix 1 part mineral oil, 1 part dish soap, and 1 part water and that seems to work well for me.
September 05, 2021 01:27PM
Does you oil mix separate, or stay mixed?
September 05, 2021 03:46PM
jj_sharp,
It stays mixed. The dish soap acts as an emulsifier.
September 28, 2021 12:20AM
I saw requests for a UF version of this stone, and what I did was take a DMT Blue #325 diamond plate and polish the back side of the stone, and it turned that into a UF stone. I wish Spyderco still had the Byrd Duckfoot available, it would be a great companion piece to the Golden Stone.
sal
October 16, 2021 07:47PM
Hi Jason,

The Duckfoot as been replaced by a cbn version that is already in-house. seeking a name.

Also have a 30 degree fixture for both also already in house.

sal
October 16, 2021 08:46PM
sal,
That is awesome, I can't wait until they come out in production. The stands sound great also, they would really make sharpeners even more useful.
sal
October 16, 2021 10:54PM
Nick is right. It does need a video. I was waiting for the CBN version and the 30 degree fixture. My goal for a complete .

Also, it's used for serrations just like the Triangle Sharpmaker where you just slowly run the serrated edge down the corner. I guess Nick doesn't know that trick? Though the Sharpmaker video does show how to do it.

sal
October 17, 2021 01:54AM
sal,
Yeah, I Spyderco video on how to use it would be awesome. I just covered the basics in my video. The main reason I really wanted the Golden Stone was that the edges were elliptic to match my Spyderco Profile Medium 701M stone I have. The new Duckfoot would add a coarse stone to the set, and it is a great set of stones to have as it can basically sharpen anything. In my video, I did go over the trick (as did Nick) to use the scissor mode of the Golden Stone to get a 12.5° angle. It would be awesome to see all the stuff the Golden Stone is capable of.
December 22, 2021 01:49AM
I found this on the Old Forum: [www.cliffstamp.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login